Sunday, April 20, 2008

CONVENTION!!!

This weekend is the tattoo convention, i spent pretty much ALL of my day yesterday getting tattooed and hanging out at the Scapegoat tattoo booth. Its funny how the art of tattooing goes underappreciated because of a widespread amount of shitty tattoos. Of course there will always be shitty tattoos and shitty tattoo artists but if you go deeper there's a slew of artists who do it to express themselves in another way than oil paints and color pencils even though these tools are still key to a tattoo. I personally get tattoos to showcase an artists' talent for life, i appreciate that they take their art seriously and don't just settle for tattooing stars and kanji all day on douchebags who get a tattoo just for the experience of walking into a shop and pointing at something on the wall. Its hard for me to sit back and let my friends get shitty tattoos when i know better, why dont they know better? Ill never know.

Scapegoat is one of those shops where the art of tattooing is taken seriously and it shows in the talent of brian and ryan, both of their portfolios are amazing and they have one thing that most shops don't have, they are personable. When you're sitting down with someone who's digging needles into your skin and marking you for life you want someone who you can hold a conversation with, someone who can keep you relaxed because the worst thing to be during a tattoo is tense and nervous. My favorite shop used to be Deep Six where i got my arm done but Scapegoat is giving it a run for its money unfortunately they are located in Portland OR so it'll be kinda hard to refer them to you guys.

I currently don't have any pictures of what i got but i will soon and i will def post some on here so you guys can see. Its gonna be amazing once its finished and I'm gonna have to plan a trip out to Portland I'm thinking some time in June to get more work done, Brian is also gonna be doing some guest spots in New York some time in the future so i think I'll make a trip up there for some more work when he's in town. Brian is so good i may have him be the one to do my other sleeve because he's not only familiar with Alphonse Mucha, he's one of his favorite artists and he even has "winter" by Mucha hanging in his house which is coincidentally part of what i want on my sleeve. I was originally gonna have Paul who did my other arm do my sleeve but i have a feeling he wouldn't be as excited to do an amazing art nouveau piece because he's more of a horror portrait type of guy which means i may have Brian do it for me.

Anyway im just sitting here waiting to go back to the convention with chris, im trying to enter my sleeve in the tattoo contest!!!
wooooooo

1 comment:

vaapad said...

take me with you to portland, i want a tattoo :[